Friday, November 22, 2013

11.22.13: Shock Value

So, while I was in class the other day, we were doing a poetry workshop. This one girl decided to share a poem that had a word that is considered vulgar in the English language. And even though its spoken in everyday life and somewhat tolerated, to see the word written was a little more than shocking. It sort of disturbed me. So this is my reaction to it...I know it doesn't make a ton of sense but that's kind of the point and in an odd way, I feel like it works here? I'm not sure but I thought I'd share it.

Vulgarity and obscenity in the spoken word
Vs.
Vulgarity and obscenity in the written word.
We may speak but once we see,
we react.
Used to always emphasize our point,
But more so on the page.
The pen is mightier than the sword.
Swing.
Fuck.
Didn’t expect that, did you?
We treat the written word with the respect
we think it deserves.
Or to get our point across.
Whichever comes first.
Whichever is more effective.
Need vulgarity?
Add.
Need obscenity.
Add.
Ass.
Shock Value.
Boom.
Now they’re just random words…
But what if they actually made sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment