Thursday, October 18, 2012

10.18.12: Jonathan

        The footsteps were getting closer and closer. I sighed. 
        "I've acknowledged your presence, Jonathan. Don't come any closer." His footsteps continued. I counted down in my head. Five, four, three, two...and one. His arms flew out from somewhere behind me and latched around my neck. I sighed again.
         "Jonathan. We go through this everyday. How is it that you're a year older than I am and still manage to act like a child more than half of the time?" He chuckled. 
          "Ah, but on the contrary...All I'm doing is seeing the fun in life. Try it sometime. And besides, you're the one who still watches Disney movies." I swatted at him but he dodged it. 
          "Ah, but on the contrary my dear Jonathan..." Shoot. I didn't have words to finish the sentence. He flashed a smile in my direction because he knew that he had won that round. 
          "Check. Mate. I win. And need I remind you that you aren't allowed to hit your best friend?" I rolled my eyes at him.
          "Need I remind you to not be annoying?" 
          "Shush, child. You need me." He had a point...But of course that didn't stop me from countering his statement with a statement of my own laced with vitriolic sarcasm.
          "Oh, you are so right. I just need you. All. The. Time. Whatever would I do without you? God forbid it never happens!" I threw my hands in the air, pretending to pray to God in the heavens above. He folded his arms over his chest. 
          "Are you done now?" God forbid he took what he gave out. I winked at him.
          "Check and mate, Jonathan." He chuckled and his smile reached his eyes.
          "Fair enough. Will you be working today?" 
          "I sure hope so. Put a good word in for me?"
          "Obviously. Not that I need to. Everyone loves you at work. You're guaranteed my spot when I choose to give it up."
          "Yes but is that because I've been chosen or because you're biased?"
          "Both...Mostly because I'm biased."
          "Jon," I whined, " I want to get this by myself. I appreciate it but I don't want your help." 
          "I'm only kidding. You've earned it." I nodded at him.
          "Eh, I've just had a good teacher." He widened his eyes in fake astonishment.
          "Do my ears deceive me? Was that a...a compliment!?" I rolled my eyes.
          "Yeah, it was. Don't get used to it." 
          "Oh, I would never dream of it. I don't take you for granted." And even though he was being sarcastic, I knew there was an underlying truth to his words and just then, I felt a calm surround me. I smiled at him and I knew that he knew that I wouldn't take him for granted either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment