Thursday, October 2, 2014

Setting Assignment

Assignment: In passages of no fewer than 150 words each, describe a SETTING for each of following scenes (your three passages should total 450+ words). Consider more than simply the objective details of the scene, but what they TELL us about what has happened/will happen there. DO NOT DESCRIBE THE ACTION that did/will take place.
--the birth of a child
--an accident
--a prayer


The birth of a child:
She couldn’t sleep anymore. No matter which way she turned, it hurt. Everything hurt. Every part of her body ached. She couldn’t eat anymore. She loved to eat. All she wanted was to keep a full course meal down but every time she tried, it came right back up. She would love a cup of coffee right now, too…a regular coffee with skim milk and a caramel drizzle. Instead, all she saw were the white lights on the ceiling. It seemed that everything was white today. The ceiling, her gown that didn’t fit at all, the bed underneath her and its sheets…they were all white. It reminded her of angels. It seemed fitting. Next to her bed was even a tiny little white blanket, folded into a nice square. It had pink embroidery on it, with a name sown in cursive. She knew the name by heart because she’s the one that picked it. She ran the name over and over, in her mind, out loud. She felt the name on her lips, her tongue. She smiled. It had a nice ring to it. But of course it did, she picked it. She reached over to touch the blanket and suddenly all of the sleep deprivation, the hunger, the pain washed away. All she felt was love.

An Accident:
There was blood everywhere. I can’t exactly tell if it’s from me. I actually can’t even tell where it’s coming from. I can’t look anywhere but straight in front of me. Am I upside down? Maybe I’m right side up? I’m definitely not sideways. Well at least I don’t think I am. I can’t really tell at all. I feel like I should be in more pain right now. Actually, I feel like I should be able to feel anything right now. I don’t feel anything right now. Toes. Wiggle my toes. Can’t. Fingers? Can’t. Can I twist side to side? Pain. Wow, that’s a lot of pain. Interesting. What do I remember? Nothing. Maybe something…? I think I remember flashes of blue. Was it the sky? But it was spinning too fast and it was too dark of a blue to be the sky. Isn’t it daytime? Maybe it’s nighttime now. I’m not sure how long I’ve been here.

A Prayer:

He has always been my friend. He has always been there for me every single time that I’ve needed him. He’s the best listener I’ve ever had the pleasure to talk to. We’ve been friends for quite some time now. He’s known me since I was a baby and he’s always watched over me. He’s with me constantly. He’s been there for all of the highs and all of the lows of my life and through it all, his love for me hasn’t waivered in the least. Every single morning and every single night, I talk to him. I thank him for his everlasting love and support. I thank him for never leaving my side. I thank him for giving me faith when I feel as if mine has run out. I think he appreciates that I do that. He’s never told me, though. It’s mostly me talking to him. He doesn’t really like talk back to me. He shows his love in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment