Thursday, October 2, 2014

Memoir Assignment

AssignmentIn no fewer than 300 words, describe ONE memory that you think helps others to understand you as a writer.

Top of Form
Her name was Caitlyn. I'd known her before this...she wasn't very nice. I told everyone that she'd followed me here. They'd laugh, I'd smirk, and she'd shyly smile. The last time I'd actually seen her was probably second grade...now I was forced to sit next to her in Mr. Roberts' eighth grade English class and I honestly had no idea how I felt about it.
I moved when I was 10 and was convinced that I was being punished for…well I wasn’t sure what I could’ve done that was bad enough for my parents to rip me away from my friends and my life. That was in 5th grade. By the time I reached eighth grade, I was starting to feel normalcy in my life.
And then Caitlyn showed up. She was threatening everything I’d done in the past five years. I tried so hard to rebuild my life and then she brought all of the memories rushing back. She would talk to me about all of my old friends and act like she knew more about them than I did  (as if). I ignored her at first. In fact, I did everything in my power to ignore her (I was in eight grade, okay?).
And then came English class. I’m not sure how I ended up sitting next to her since our last names were no-where close to each other in alphabetical order but there she was, Caitlyn K. sitting right next to Marisa T.
One day we were learning about poetry and we had an assignment: to write about something that deeply affected us. I looked to my right and there she was, writing away. I whispered to her,  “what are you doing?” She looked back at me almost confused and then gave me a half smile.
“I’m finishing our assignment.” Key word here: finishing. She must’ve seen how confused I looked because then she added, “I like to write...and I had some inspiration.”

             Caitlin taught me how to write poetry and take all the things in my surroundings and use them as inspiration. From that point on, Caitlin read all of my poems. It provided me a good outlet when I needed to vent. I also write when I don’t know how to say something…it helps me work through what I’m trying to say and get my points across more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment