Friday, October 11, 2013

10.12.13: A Friend


            Every time that I hear the church bells chime, a shiver goes through my body…and he’s the only thing that I remember.
            Every seat was filled; people were standing; the church had reached its capacity.
            Too many questions had been unanswered but there was one thing that I was sure of: I needed to be there.
            The pain was overwhelming and the tears came easily because why wouldn’t they? They were all for him. 
            I hadn’t seen her in a year now but she looked the same to me. She was wearing white. I didn’t have time to wonder if I looked the same to her. I was wearing black. My steps were quick and deliberate because I wasn’t sure how much longer I could handle being in that place…and then it struck me how this place of worship could also be this place of misery.
            I was the first one to give her a hug. She didn’t see me until I was three feet in front of her but after she saw me, for the first time, I saw her face brighten just a little bit and I smiled back weakly, if only to make her smile last a little bit longer.
            “What are you doing home? I thought you were supposed to be at college,” she whispered.
            And then with my voice cracking, I responded as evenly as possible, “I just figured that you could use a friend.” She looked at me for a second before throwing her arms around my neck. I pulled her in tight, and then even tighter, afraid that I might lose her, too.
            “Yeah, I did,” she sobbed into my hair. And then I held her. And she held me. And I’m not sure how long we stayed like that. It was a long time before she said something again. I breathed in her hair and we both cried, silently consoling each other.
            “I needed this hug. I’ve missed your hugs. I’ve missed you,” she whispered. I choked out a sob-laugh as we released our embrace.
            “I’ve missed you, too,” I whispered while I wiped my eyes and tried to smile. “I’m so sorry…I wish that I could’ve seen you under better circumstances.” She nodded at me.
            “I’m honestly so shocked that you came home, though. I wasn’t expecting that at all. Thank you so much for always being there. You’re one of those friends where I don’t have to talk to you everyday but I know that I can still count on you for everything. That means so much…. Thank you for coming today. You have no idea how much that meant.” And then, gesturing to her white dress, she added, “Do you like my white dress? I knew he would be so mad if I wore black today. He’d never let me wear black if he were here.” And then she smiled and looked up toward Heaven and my eyes followed hers. I didn’t know how to answer her so I simply nodded and said:
“Yeah, I wanted to surprise you. I knew you’d need a friend.” 

For Colin. 9.17.13.

No comments:

Post a Comment