Monday, December 10, 2012

12.10.12: Six Going on Twenty


“Did you really love him?” I shook my head. He pushed on. “You were together for a year, though.”
“I know.”
“That was your longest relationship.” I heaved a sigh, stopped typing my term paper, and shifted my eyes from my laptop to his face.
“I know.”
“Why not? Why didn’t you love him?”
“I tricked myself into it.” I watched the confusion cross his face.
“What do you mean?” I looked at Max for a second longer before I moved my laptop from my lap to the table. I patted my knee, inviting him to sit. I can’t believe I was about to explain my love life to a six-year-old.
“What would you like to know, Max?”
“Everything.” This wasn’t going to be a short conversation. I ruffled his hair.
“That, my dear, will take quite a long time. Why don’t you start with one question and we can go from there?” He put his finger to his lips and thought for a moment before nodding his head.
“Okay, deal. What was he like?” More like what wasn’t he like?
“He was a lot of things, Max. He was funny and he was nice when he wanted to be. He had a lot of friends. I guess you could call him popular if you wanted. He was athletic but not the best student. But do you want to know what he was the most?” Max nodded feverishly. “Not good for me.” A frown played at the corners of Max’s lips.
“I don’t get it, Kay.” I smiled at him.
“Well that’s because you’re six and you haven’t had to deal with any of this yet, kiddo. But what I mean is that we had nothing in common. Us together didn’t really make any sense. We looked cute together…”
“I know. I’ve seen pictures.”
“…But there was always something missing with him. It was never enough. He didn’t prove to me that he truly wanted to be with me. There wasn’t a lot of effort put in. It’s the little things, kiddo. Remember that, okay? And you’ve known me for a long time now, Max. Can’t you tell how much happier I am?”
“Yes, yes I can. You look a lot prettier when you smile all the time.” I couldn’t help but laugh at that.
“Well, thank you! And you want to know something? You look a cuter when you’re in bed instead of asking me about my ex-boyfriend.” I tapped my finger on his nose. He laughed and swatted at my hand.
“But I’m not done asking, Kayleigh. You didn’t tell me about the tricking thing.” Ah, what an intuitive six-year-old he was.
“Right. I tricked myself…Have you ever had a food that you really liked because someone told you that it was good for you?” Max thought about it for a second.
“Yes. Carrots. My mom tells me all the time that they help me see better but I only like them when she doesn’t cook them. I have to eat them crunchy.”
“Okay. Right. That’s how it was for my ex-boyfriend and me. I liked to think that he was good for me but when I really thought about it, I realized that I only liked him when I could have him the way that I wanted.”
            “So why did it take a year?”
            “Because I thought that I did love him. And it’s not easy losing someone that’s been in your life for a long time.”
            “I’d be sad if I lost you, Kay.”
            “I’d be sad if I lost you too, Max.”
            “So what made you realize that you didn’t love him?”
            “What makes you ask that?” He buried his face between my arm and chest. “Max? C’mon. You can tell me.” Between muffled tones coming through my shirt I could just barely make out: “because I think I’m in love.” I laughed and he peeked up at me.
            “What’s so funny?”
            “Max, you’re six. It’s okay to think that you’re in love but you have your entire life to think that and actually see it come true. May I ask who the girl is?” A little blush played on his cheeks.
            “Her name is Samantha,” he mumbled. “She’s really pretty.”
            “I bet she is. Maybe I’ll get to meet her one day.”
            “Maybe. But can you answer my question?”
            “And which question would that be?”
            “How did you know that you didn’t love him?” I stayed quiet for a moment not wanting to say it out loud. “C’mon. I told you.” He was right. Now I had to tell him.
            “Because I fell in love with someone else. Now I know what love is. I didn’t know what it was back then because I wasn’t experiencing it. Now I am.” Max cocked his head to the side and studied my face.
            “Maybe I’ll get to meet him one day.” I laughed and ruffled his hair.
            “One day, kiddo,” I promised. “Now go get ready for bed before your mom gets home.” He kissed my cheek, hopped down from my lap, and scampered towards the stairs. I watched him go, realizing that a six-year-old just helped me figure out the last year and a half of my life. I smiled to myself and got up to follow Max up the stairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment