Thursday, December 6, 2012

12.6.12: Three Lies and No Truth

*not based on real life

            One of our hearts was going to end up broken. I wasn’t sure whose it would be or when it would happen but I did know that it would all come tumbling down and there’d be nothing that I could do about it. The realization hit me with a force so real that my breath was taken from my lungs. I bit my lip to try and keep the tears back. A shiver shot through my body.
            “Hey, hey, it’s alright. Are you cold?” He moved the blanket further up the bed and rubbed my right arm. I turned on my side and brought the blanket up to my face.
            “Yeah, I’m fine. Don’t worry.” Lie.
            “Are you sure?”
            “Of course. I’m with you. I’m fine.” Lie.
            “Okay. Just let me know.”
            “I will.” Lie. He kissed my forehead and turned back to sleep, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I turned back toward him and rested my head on his chest. I listened to his steady heartbeat: thump, thump. Thump, thump. I drew circles on his chest until I heard his heavy breathing. I looked up at him then, trying to memorize his face. I kissed his cheek and crawled out of bed making sure not to wake him. I tiptoed out into the living room where I was greeted by four of his roommates. We exchanged high fives and fist pounds before we all settled in for Sunday night football. Within minutes of the game and for no particular reason at all, we were laughing so hard that our faces hurt. When I could catch my breath again, I looked around the room. I’d miss all of this…but as it turns out, I fell in love with someone I could never have.

No comments:

Post a Comment