Sunday, June 30, 2013

6.30.13: T.O.D.

So, this summer I coached an elite lacrosse team (it was actually my old club team). This was my letter to the girls before our tournament this weekend. We went 4-0. They're 6th graders. 

Hi Team,

As you already know, I’ll be going to Spain from July 4-16 and will therefore have to miss our last tournament together. Unfortunately, I booked my trip before I knew that I would be coaching so it’s impossible for me to change the dates (If I could, I most definitely would).
With that being said, I just wanted to take some time to say Thank You. Thank you for accepting me as your coach and taking in all of the information that I’ve taught (or that I’ve tried) to teach you; Thank you for always putting your best foot (or cleat) forward and always giving me 100%; And thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for making my first coaching experience something that I’ll never forget.
This group of girls has definitely had an impact on my life. Even though it was my job to teach you, you’ve all taught me a couple of things, too. You’ve taught me that I’m not always smarter than a 6th grader; and that Meg can beat me in a sprint; but you’ve also taught me that the love of the game still exists and the strive to succeed is your most trusted ally.
Whether we were winning four games in a row and making it to the quarterfinals at Lax By The Sea or making up a dance during the last half hour of practice for our Maryland tournament that we never actually finished or performed, you girls always knew how to put a smile on my face. Every Tuesday and Thursday, my favorite part of the day was when I was in my car, heading to practice.
Each and every one of you is so special and so talented.  I can’t even begin to tell you all how proud I am of all of you but if you want an idea, just know that I brag about this team like it’s my job to basically everyone (no shame).
So I’ll leave you with this: Don’t ever let anyone dull your sparkle. Keep striving, keep excelling, and keep believing…because I believe in each and every one of you.
If I could pick any other team, I wouldn’t.
Look out for each other.
My last practice with you is July 2. Klondike bars for all.
If anyone ever needs any advice, lacrosse or otherwise; has any questions; or just needs to reach me, my email and cell are at the end of this email.
Let's make Lax by the Cure a tournament to remember and let's show all of Jersey who the real team is (Steps doesn't have anything on us). I'll see everyone tomorrow at 5 for practice and get ready for Friday. Let's kick some butt. 

Coach Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment