Sunday, May 5, 2013

5.5.13: Will to Win



There was sweat everywhere. It dripped from every part of my body. I looked straight ahead trying to focus on Jake’s whistle. I blinked and it felt like I was in slow-mo. I breathed in and I breathed out. I looked to my right and then I looked to my left to remind myself that it was just me, myself, and I. The whistle sounded and then my world sped up.
My legs were robotic; they’d already been doing this for a half hour…15 seconds later and it was over. I picked up the 25-pound plate that was now at my feet and heaved it onto my back. Lunges, squats, push-ups, crunches; throw the plate on the ground. Sprint back. Repeat.
         “We’re going until you throw up or pass out. Your choice.” Damn it. I don’t throw up during workouts. Never have. Never will. So, passing out it was.
An hour later, and I was practically crawling through the line. Jacob walked over to me.
“Impressive. The fact that this was voluntary and you still did it? Dually noted. You clearly have the drive to win. Maybe you should try and pass it on to some of your teammates.” He extended his hand down to me and I took it.
“I’ll make sure to let them know…but can I please go shower now? I smell worse than the guys’ locker room.” He laughed and nodded his head.
“Okay, go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment