Thursday, May 23, 2013

5.23.13: Multiple POV Story



So I've read a couple of books where there are multiple/different points of view throughout the story and I've always wanted to try it so here's my first attempt at a multiple POV story:

Kayleigh:
I couldn't make eye contact with him. There was a blush playing at my cheeks. I looked down to adjust the hair tie on my wrist. When I spoke, my voice came out soft and slow and I wasn't sure if he'd heard me. 
"You really love me," I whispered. "This is real." I still couldn't look at him. He was quiet. Please lord; don't make me have to repeat it. I held my breath and continued to stare at the skin-colored hair tie that I was now nervously spinning around my wrist. Still no reply. What a stupid question to ask. Of course he didn't. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I went to shuffle my feet in an attempt to start my getaway but his feet took a step toward mine. I froze mid-hair tie spin unsure of what to do. I didn't move. Before I knew what was happening his hand was under my chin and tilting my face up to his. What was happening? And then, the moment that I never thought would ever happen (like ever) happened: he kissed me.
His lips fit effortlessly into mine. And then his hand was tangling into my hair and I was pulling myself closer into him. Sooner rather than later, though, he released me and I grasped for some air to fill my lungs. He had literally taken my breath away. I stood there, a little disoriented, trying to focus him into my line of sight. 
"Woah," was all I could get out. He chuckled. Great. He was laughing at me. When my head finally stopped spinning, I looked over to where he was still standing. His silhouette stretched out over the pond giving him a some sort of magical aura. I didn't know what to say so I waited for him to speak this time.  Minutes of crickets chirping, literally, went by before he finally spoke. His voice was low and muffled but just audible enough to make my heart race. 
"I've loved you since the second grade. You were always unreachable, though...dancing the line between my comfort zone and uncharted territory," he sighed, "You weren't supposed to find out like this." He looked down at his feet then as if he were embarrassed...But that was all I needed to hear. With three determined steps, I placed myself right in front of him and reached up and kissed him again. Right in the middle of the putting green. At some time past midnight. For the second time in five minutes. 

Keegan: 
Why did she look so nervous? And why the hell was she spinning that hair tie on her wrist like that? She wasn't the one who screwed up their chances with the person they've loved since second grade in a matter of hours. Jesus, she's going to give herself a damn rug burn if she spins that thing any faster. She wouldn't look at me.
I didn't know what to say...‘Sorry Kayleigh, that you found out…?’ Except I wasn't sorry...I mean I was going to tell her eventually...like after graduation or something so if she rejected me I'd never have to see her again. Jesus. Maybe I should say something...I went to go open my big mouth (as if it hadn't gotten me into enough trouble already) but she beat me to it. 
"You really love me...This is real," she whispered. Wait. What did she just say? No way. I still couldn't say anything. My brain hurt. I scrambled to find words but nothing came out. You could start to see her face show the disappointment. She started to turn away. Uh oh. I had to make a move. Now or never. Go big or go home.
So, what did I do? I made a move. Booyah! I took a step toward her and then wrapped her into my arms and kissed her. And I mean I really kissed her. Trust me, it was much more romantic in person. You had to be there.
When I finally let her go, she didn't seem to know what hit her. I let her gather her wits about her before I finally spoke...plus I also needed to figure out what I was actually going to say to her so I didn't sound like a total idiot. I decided to just go with the truth:
"I've loved you since the second grade. You were always unreachable, though...dancing the line between my comfort zone and uncharted territory...You weren't supposed to find out like this." Ugh. Yeah, no. I still totally sounded like an idiot. But at least now she knew. But that seemed to be good enough for her because before I knew it, she was right in front of me again, kissing me again. Right in the middle of the putting green. At some time past midnight. For the second time in five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment