Sunday, September 23, 2012

9.23.12: Blood is Thicker Than Gold


            “As my oldest and closest friend, I am trusting that with what I’m about to tell you, it won’t go any further than this room…Am I clear? You know how much I dislike my business to be known to the public.” He nodded his head at me. I continued,  “Plus it’d be quite a shame if dear old mom heard about how you wronged your favorite cousin, wouldn’t you agree?” A smirk played at his lips as well as mine.
            “Indeed, that would be quite a pity. But I can assure you, my dear young cousin, your secret is safe with me.” The sarcasm was thick in his voice. I swatted his arm.
            “You are only older than I am by a mere month. Please refrain from using it against me every time I decide to tell you something that is of my concern.” He swatted my arm back. Good. He understood my terms and conditions, then.
            “So tell me what’s bothering you my dear, Claire.” I signed for a moment before deciding against my better judgment to tell my judgmental cousin my problems.
            “Well, my dear Casey, you know I don’t glisten and sparkle. Despite where I, or rather where my family is in life, it’s just not my style. I’ve never been one to show off. I behave myself and I honor the family name. And despite the fact that I know that I’m well off, I can’t help but worry that now that I’ve found someone who may be out of my dating league—if you ever let him know that I will actually destroy you—I’m not something that he can be proud of.” He stayed silent, ushering me to continue. I cleared my throat. “You know how much I’ve come to like Jacob,” Casey nodded his head…he’s only heard me talk about the man about a million times already, “and well, I’m not sure if I’m…flashy…enough for him.”
            “What are you trying to get at, Claire?” He didn’t really understand. But I tried to continue to get my point across.
            “I want to be a ‘wow, that’s your girlfriend? You’re so lucky!’ kind-of girl and I’m not so sure if I am.”
            “Mhm, I see the problem here…Honestly, Claire, I never thought that I’d see the day where you would be concerned with what people thought of you. You must really care for this Jacob-fellow.” I rolled my eyes at him.
            “You know that I do. I’d just like him to look at me and want to show me off despite my lack of glitter and gold.” Casey smiled at me then and put his hand on my shoulder.
            “Dear, if he doesn’t look at you like that already, then you should be with somebody who does.” He wrapped me into a hug then and I let him hold me. I guess what they say is true: blood really is thicker than water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment