Monday, September 17, 2012

2.14.12: Valentine's Day


It seemed only fitting that I realized my obsession with love on Valentine’s Day. Ever since I was a little girl, prince charming was engrained into my brain. I was a true romantic, only interested in books or movies with a juicy love story rooted into the plot. I set my life around love and it touched every aspect of my life. I wrote about love like I’d felt it a million times over, but in reality, I’ve never really been in love once. My vision of what love is was so sugarcoated that I don’t think anyone could have called it anything short of a fantasy…and unfortunately that’s exactly what it was: a fantasy. My writings were my escape from my non-existent love life and in reality…my standards were too high for a too average girl. I’ve been with too many guys that weren’t right for me. Carrie Underwood’s song, “The More Boys I Meet,” is constantly on replay as she sings the story of my life. “I close my eyes, kiss that frog…I’ll give anyone a shot once…” Now, on Valentine’s Day, I sing it at the top of my lungs, smiling, because of how true miss Underwood’s lyrics really are. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not miserable, or bitter, or constantly looking for someone. Actually, I’m perfectly happy with who I am and where I am in my life. Just because I don’t have anyone now though, and I feel like I’ve seen all that’s to be seen, doesn’t mean that I’ll give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment