Friday, November 7, 2014

Dialogue Assignment

Write ONE of the following scenes TWICE: The first should be constructed ENTIRELY WITHOUT dialogue (and without simply describing what someone says. Ex: "He told her how mush she meant to him"). The second should be constructed ENTIRELY of dialogue (no description/exposition, and the dialogue SHOULD NOT describe the action. Ex: "Oh, look what you just did!"). Your total response should run no less than 300 words.

--ordering a meal from a menu in a language foreign to the person placing the order
--clipping a grandfather's toenails
--passing an ex on the street

Ordering a meal from a menu in a language foreign to the person placing the order:
Without dialogue:
            So far the only thing I’ve been able to figure out on this menu is “le diner” and “le dessert.” I mean I think that means dinner and dessert. I hope that means dinner and dessert. I’m going with it means dinner and dessert.
I don’t know what “la nourriture” is, and I don’t know what “manger” is either. I told her not to pick this place. I don’t even know what French food tastes like. Obviously I don’t know what any of this means.
            I peek at Shelby from behind my menu. She seems perfectly content with whatever manger is. If I ask her what any of this means, will she think I’m stupid? Most likely.
            How obvious will it be if I use Google translate on my phone? Also, will my phone decide to talk to me if I hit translate? The pressure is on.
            Okay, here’s what I’ll do: close my eyes and point. Bouillabaisse. That sounds fine. I just hope it doesn’t have any fish.

With Dialogue:
            “What do you think you want?” Shelby looked over at me intently. As if I knew.
            “What’s good here? You picked the place. I’ll follow your lead.” I’m stalling.
            “Oh, come on. I’m sure you’ll be able to pick something. Why don’t you read over the menu in full at least one time and then pick something? I’ve been watching you and all you’ve done is skim. I know you don’t know what you’re reading but it couldn’t help to learn something new right?”
            “I was looking for pictures…and I’m too hungry to think about learning right now. That’s what school is for.”
            “Menus don’t usually have pictures. At least not fancy-adult restaurants like this one. And technically, this is for school.”
            “Well, they should. That’s not very smart on their part. How am I supposed to know what I’m eating?”
            “Just Google it.”

            “Oh.”

No comments:

Post a Comment